Friday, January 14, 2011

Why eat tomatoes Mom???

Did you miss me? I have been trying to spend time with my hubby before he leaves me a single mom for a week. So I have been following this diet which is not really a diet but a lifestyle change and our week 2 weigh in is tomorrow morning. I am a little nervous because I have been under my calorie intake every day this week BUT according to my family members I need to have at least 1200 cals a day to lose weight...what do you think? My daughter has not acquired a new taste for tomatoes and I am disappointed because my son likes them! She would rather not eat whatever has tomatoes in it than just eat it...it is mixed in with other stuff but she says she can still taste it. I will keep trying though and hopefully she will come into the "light" and realize they are tasty and good for her. Although she did ask a valid question the other night which was "what good are tomatoes for you anyway?" I thought that was a good question but I had to make the simple reply that my mother told me..."because they are good for you I don't know why." Since when did I turn into my mother...don't answer that question! My new thing that I am looking at are cookbooks. I sat down to make my grocery list and our week long menu and I had four cookbooks around me looking for new recipes and old ones and I noticed that my kids were not complaining about all the recipes but they were being brave trying new things. I LOVE this because it is not the same menu that we rotated every other week. I mean how many times can you eat hot dogs, meatloaf, chicken nuggets, spaghetti, roast beef and veggies and then eat the same menu again the week after? So I am proud that my kids are experimenting with new food (except Paige and tomatoes) and that I am being brave trying new foods. Our next veggie to conquer is broccoli without cheese because according to my daughter what good is eating healthy if you're gonna smoother it with fattening cheese! She is learning and she is my Jillian because she is happy to remind me to work out and eat right...now if she could eat those tomatoes!!

3 comments:

  1. Let us know how your weigh in goes. I have heard the same thing on Weightwatchers, that if you don't eat all your points you may not loose much weight, but that has not rang true for me. I'd love to hear about some of your favorite new recipes that you have tried. I am always looking for new ones too, we get tired of eating the same thing over and over.

    You are right about being a lifestyle change that is the only way to go, otherwise you are looking to that day you will get off! Keep up the good work Tara, it will all pay off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara, on the tomato bit: google "health benefits of tomatoes" and you will get some good info. Also, just this past year I found there is a BIG taste difference in store bought tomatoes and those bought from a farmer's market. I miss my farmer's market tomatoes, but alas, I will have to wait for them to come back into season. Also on the broccoli, you can eat them with the cheese. Green Giant has a VERY tasty steamer bag of broccoli WITH cheese, and each serving is still only about 35 calories. Hope these suggestions help. You're doing great and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the Green Giant steamer broccoli with cheese sauce! Just sayin'...
    You need to have at least 1200 calories per day...if you have less than that then your body will think it's being starved and it will actually hold onto your weight more so your weight loss will slow down. Also, make sure you're taking vitamin supplements since you might not be getting all your vitamins with your reduced-calorie diet.
    Finally, I have some really good recipes that even Curt likes that I can give you if you want. I'm trying BBQ pork sandwiches with sweet potato "fries" tonight! Yum!

    ReplyDelete