Tuesday, January 18, 2011

DONUTS ARE EVIL!!!

OK so I am on day #3 of being a single parent and I am not adjusting to it very well. Today I had to change my daughter's eye appointment because her glasses are falling apart and she needs new ones. So we had to be there at 8am. Now normally I would have taken her and hubby would have taken care of little man or vice versa but I had to get up at 7am then get both sleepy/grouchy kids awake and dressed. So no time for a nice breakfast but we were on time for her eye appointment. We left and went to get a donut because I told them I would get them something to eat. We went to the donut shop that was close and went in to see the selection. Do you know there is NOTHING healthy about a donut shop! I saw my favorite sausage roll, chocolate donuts, cake donuts, blueberry ones, etc. I was in heaven and just the smell was refreshing! I let the kids pick out their donuts and they got a big chocolate milk to share then it was my turn....I looked all over and chose the chocolate devil's food with chocolate frosting and a small chocolate milk. I know, I know.....bad choice. Now about a month ago I could eat a donut and a sausage roll and a large chocolate milk for breakfast....I know it was awful! After being on this low calorie diet for 2 weeks (almost 3 weeks now) I thought I could splurge and get a donut and drink chocolate milk. Now what I did not realize (remember) is that there is a LOT of sugar in both of these things and sugar can make you crash HARD. So I came home from taking the kids to school and normally I stay up and enjoy my quiet time or workout and shower. Well today I watched Ellen and fell asleep...until it was time to get little man from school, that is 2 hours mind you! So I jump up and pick up the boy and come home and then I sat and watched a movie with the boy and made lunch for us. After the movie I realized I had done NOTHING. So I changed into my workout clothes and left Preston to play on the computer while I went to the torture machine. I stepped on and started going and about 10 minutes into my walking/jogging/elliptical workout I felt weird. I was shaky, sweaty (different than workout sweat), couldn't get into my rhythm. It was very awkward so I got off after 15 minutes because I was afraid to go further in my workout. After I walked around and caught my breath and drank lots of water I felt better but that was a strange feeling. I still felt tired the WHOLE day even after my 2 hour nap and laziness today! So I made sure to drink lots of water and eat low sugar today. I felt better later in the day and night and I wasn't as tired. I have learned my lesson and I will NOT eat that much sugar in the morning...or at all....and I will stick to my healthy breakfast from Dr. Oz! So tell me your thoughts about the pitfalls of healthy lifestyle changes!

2 comments:

  1. Girl, your sugar intake allowed your blood sugar level to go sky-high.That got your insulin to over-react, and it sounds like you were suffering from low blood sugar. At that point, some protein might help - a little milk, cheese, or pb. Sorry you felt so bad. I had the exact same situation earlier this week, and felt shaky, sick, and faint...all because of some candy I thought I could eat. WRONG!
    You've come a long way so far, and that experience clearly shows that you didn't do yourself any favors by consuming the sugar.
    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what was your thought process to lead you to think about splurging? Just wondering if it is the same of mine. You can over come! Remember all things are permissible but not all things are beneficial. Lesson learned, I've certainly been there!

    ReplyDelete