Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sometimes..your parents are the students!

So today my mom had her shoulder surgery that she has needed for many years but finally broke down because the pain was getting unbearable. So as I arrived late to the hospital and caught her as they were wheeling her back so I could give her a quick hug and kiss her forehead...I know so mushy! So earlier at home I had eaten an egg white omelet with bell peppers, tomatoes, bacon bits and cheese that was soooo tasty!! I am pretty full and stayed full until after 1pm. My father on the other hand was nervous and thought he was hungry at noon which is fine and he left to eat in the cafeteria rather than go to Subway which was across the street because it was too cold outside. So his lunch choice was Penne pasta in marinara sauce with mushrooms, veggies of some sort, bread and a cup of grapes and a diet soda.  Now he said it was the better choice and it was tasty but not filling for $7. Now after an hour I thought about eating and went to the cafeteria and I was mortified! The pasta looked like my version of baked ziti with cheese and veggies and their version of a grilled chicken sandwich was a DEEP FRIED CHICKEN BREAST! I asked if I was correct and she said that it is grilled then coated with breadcrumbs and FRIED then placed on a hamburger bun with fries! Now last month I would have eaten this and the fries and maybe grabbed a bag of candy to munch on later BUT not the new and healthy Tara! I walked away and remembered the Subway idea and saw tucked away in the corner the salad area. I went there and was amazed that there were no green salads...it was all Caesar salads then next to the salads were sugar free jellos and fat free vanilla yogurts with blueberries/strawberries and granola. I opted for the yogurt and a diet Dr pepper in a can. I went back to the waiting room feeling invigorated and happy with my choice. After I finished my yogurt and sipped my soda I found out we had at least another hour to wait so I went over to Subway and got a sandwich that was 290 calories AND costs only $3! So my dad states that his healthy lunch was good and I stated that mine was better so he asked how. I showed him my IPhone app called Lose it and showed him how I could calculate my calories and then I showed him how it is nearly impossible to calculate CAFETERIA food unless they tell you the specific nutrition information. So not only did I teach my dad a new trick on calculating calories using this app BUT I ate healthy being at the hospital all day!

3 comments:

  1. You are doing an awesome job!!! Love you and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have always been a great writer! I look forward to reading your blog, and encouraging you on your journey. Call me anytime. I may need the support too! We have just begun P-90X (work-out program). We have no trainers, chefs, or sitters either, but we are motivated. I bought GOAL jeans, and hung them on the outside of my closet door. They are the size I want to be. I didn't skimp. They are GAP jeans, and by Mother's day, I plan to wear them! They are size 6! By the way, haven't been a size six since 9th grade! Here we GO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOOHOOO!! You WILL be a size 6 by May! You have to send me a pic of you in your GAP jeans! How are things at the Gillespie house? Did you see the video of us singing all together? I haven't forgotten to send you the DVD of us singing...I need to be at church to get it. Between holidays and kids being sickly we have not been as often. Thanks for the encouragement and I look forward to your comments!

    ReplyDelete